£3.59m to repair ‘heritage risk’ churches

A 17-strong list of Norfolk churches have been placed on the official “heritage at risk” register.
The Norfolk Churches Trust has calculated that £3.59m is needed to repair and conserve these churches.
At the charity’s latest quarterly council meeting, it also identified 52 churches across the county needing urgent repairs costing £12.67 million.
The Round Tower Churches Society awarded a £3,000 grant to St Peter and Paul, Repps-cum-Bastwick, towards the cost of immediate repairs to prevent further damage to the flintwork.

The latest “heritage at risk” register lists these 17 churches and the cost of repairs:
Bracon Ash, St Nicholas £142,000
Burgh Castle, St Peter & Paul £293,000
Carbrooke, St Peter & Paul £200,000
Crostwight, All Saints, North Walsham £90,000
Deopham, St Andrew £413,000
Elsing, St Mary £154,000
Little Cressingham, St Andrew £203,000
Little Massingham, St Andrew £102,000
North Tuddenham, St Mary’s £296,000
North Lopham, St Nicholas £300,000
Outwell, St Clement £250,000
Repps-cum-Bastwick, St Peter & Paul £162,000
Sporle, St Mary £90,000
Thompson, St Martin £240,000
Thurning, St Andrew £210,000
Tilney, All Saints £199,000
West Walton, St Mary £250,000
Total £3,594,000

Norfolk Churches Trust has already awarded grants to many on this list including Little Cressingham £10,000; North Tuddenham (£15,000),West Walton (£9,000) and Outwell (£8,000) and Deopham (£7,000).
Last year, the Norfolk Churches Trust gave grants of £182,000 to churches in 48 parishes and at the latest council meeting, a further £74,000 was awarded to 15 churches.
The Round Tower Churches Society has now given a total of more than £30,000 to churches in 2019 – including the latest £8,000 grants to St Mary’s, Surlingham and Repps cum Bastwick.

£8,000 grants awarded towards major repairs

St Mary’s, Surlingham

Two Broadland round tower churches have been awarded a total of £8,000 by the Society.

The Round Tower Churches Society has given £5,000 to St Mary’s, Surlingham, near Norwich, towards the estimated £140,000 repair programme.

It has a nationally-important ringing mechanism in the 14th century tower, which holds two of Norfolk’s oldest bells dating from 1381.

These bells were cast by William Dawe, of Norwich, in the year that the 14-year-old King Richard II faced the leaders of the Peasants Revolt in London’s Smithfield.

Major repairs are need to replace rotten timbers supporting the tower’s bell frame, which holds the unusual metal ringing mechanism made by Moore, Holmes & MacKenzie, of Redenhall, near Harleston, in 1889.

The church, which has had a ring of six bells since 1999, also needs work to the flint facing of the round tower, said Derry Kelleher, who has been caring for the church for the past 30 years.
Another church – one of 17 in Norfolk on the latest “heritage at risk” register – has been given a £3,000 grant for urgent repairs to the tower roof.

St Peter and St Paul, Repps cum Bastwick, near Acle, which needs total repairs of £162,000, will use the latest grant to prevent further serious damage to the tower by fitting replacement water spouts.

Sally Mitchell, who has been a churchwarden for the past 20 years, said that the Society’s grant will help to pay for repairs which will throw water away from the tower. However, having been twice turned down for national heritage grants, the medieval church needed to raise significant funds to complete the rest of the conservation works.

Of the country’s 181 round tower churches, 124 are in Norfolk with 36 in Suffolk.
The Society, which has also reported a further increase in membership, has now awarded more than £30,000 this year, to help round tower churches.

Founded in 1973 and funded by membership subscriptions, the Society has now given more than £200,000 to round tower churches.

Tuttington Church

RTCS Mag 2019 Sept Tuttington

Attempts to give a precise date to the round tower at St Peter & St Paul at Tuttington has been a challenge for decades, writes Richard Harbord.

Tuttington Church
Tuttington Church

Tuttington Church’s round tower has long been controversial as there is no consensus regarding its date.
Early writers including Claude Messent, writing in 1936, claimed the lower part of it is Norman but the architecture historian Dr Nikolaus Pevsner was too unsure to commit himself. Bill Goode, whose book on Round Tower Churches in 1982, was uncharacteristically cautious about its date.
“The Early English period is the earliest to which definite features can still be seen. The tower shows no signs of its correct age owing to its extensive repairs and refacing. The belfry windows with Y tracery are Early English,” wrote the society’s founder.
“The other (lower) openings are now rectangular with their outer frames made of cement. Their inner splays are broken and give no clues to their date whatsoever. “Some of them have lintels of wood or stone but they also give no help either. The tower now contains only one bell of 1852, but at one time it held four,” he added.

Goode listed many physical characteristics but left it to the distinguished church architect, Stephen Hart to carry out a forensic analysis of its visible features.
In his 2003 Round Towers of England, Hart wrote that the exterior of the tower is faced with knapped flint as opposed to using roughly cleft-flints or broken pieces. This practice became popular from the end of the 13th century onwards and that is evident at Tuttington where half the facing material uses this type of flint.
Darker flints were inserted in horizontal bands to provide a decorative feature which Goode noted are at +1.5m (5ft) and +9.3 metres.
Many towers of this Early English period used medieval red bricks on the exterior facing but not at Tuttington. The simple chamfering and pointed head of the tower doorway also suggest an Early English date.

This small opening in the gable wall of the nave is splayed inside the tower which indicates the two were built together. These reveals are clearly not those of a Saxon or Norman west entrance as early doorways went straight through the wall with parallel sides. Norman ones usually have a rebate on the inside for the actual door. Thus, towers with splayed arches are likely to be post-Norman, as at Tuttington.

Hart’s conclusion is that there is no evidence in its fabric which suggests that tower is anything but post-Norman (ie built well after King Stephen’s death in 1154). There is a distinctive ledge inside the west gable of the Nave, 0.15 metres deep; at a height above the floor of 7.32m so the part below the ledge could be the remains of the gable wall of an earlier nave.
In the 15th century the nave was considerably widened and heightened so that the new roof ridge at +10.4m (34ft) rose up above the sill of the belfry opening. Following that, the tracery of the east and west openings were lost and the openings were blocked up with red bricks.
Goode measured the tower as 13.6m (44.6ft) which includes a fairly modern plain brick parapet. It has an internal diameter at ground level of 3.12m and walls, 1.09m thick. Early writers seem to have given the tower a possible Norman dating based entirely on its wall thickness and its general proportions which alone is unreliable evidence.

The parish history helps to confirm the tower’s post-Norman date. Anglo-Saxon tax records for this district did not list Tuttington as it was so small. Domesday in 1086 recorded about 25 people living in the village – not enough to build or sustain a stone church.
In the post-Norman period around 1200, everything changed when much of the population of an adjacent village including the manorial lord migrated south into Tuttington.
This coincided with the first recorded priest to serve the new parish in 1234 – reinforcing a post Norman date for the tower. Despite accumulation of evidence to support an Early English dating the Listing description and Pevsner’s updated edition described the tower as 12th century, which seems to be sitting on the fence.
John Ladbrooke’s drawing of this church in the early 1800s has a tower much as it is today including a small spire that replaced an earlier larger one. It seems to have collapsed around 1750.

Can the parish history help with the dating controversy over the tower?
991 A tax list included nearby villages but not Tuttington.
1086 Domesday records 25 people living in the village. Was there a small timber church?
1200 An adjacent village, Crackford, was abandoned by this time with its church of St Botolph’s. The “de Crackford” family moved south to Tuttington – hence a Tuttington-Crackford Manor.
1254 First parish priest recorded – John, son of a nearby manorial lord, Peter de Hautbois. Did he lay the foundations for a tower to an earlier church?
1349 The Black Death. A new vicar in post.
1368 Survey of the church’s goods shows it was richly endowed; were there plans to rebuild the Chancel and enlarge the Nave?
1450s Notable additions include:

1 South door with elaborate scrolled iron-work.
2 12 Poppy-heads on new seats with carved bench-ends.
3 Side-altar with a plain piscina in the Nave, dedicated to St Botolph.
Bequest for its window in 1499. This may have served a church guild.
4 South porch and parvis chamber added with 1502 bequest.

Claude Messent, Parish Churches of Norfolk & Norwich 1936
Munro Cautley, Norfolk Churches 1949
Dr Nikolas Pevsner, Buildings of England, Norfolk 1962 (revised 1997).
Bill Goode, East Anglian Round Towers and their Churches 1982.
‘Lyn Stilgoe, The Round Tower Churches of Norfolk. 2001.
Stephen Hart, Round Towers of England. 2003.

Father Philip celebrates half-century

Father Philip, who was ordained priest at Chelmsford Cathedral on September 21, 1969, is an honorary chaplain to the Norfolk Churches Trust and chaplain to the Round Tower Churches Society. He is a trustee and chaplain of the Friends of Friendless Churches.

Father Philip cuts a cake marking his 50 years as a priest.

A half-century of ordination to the priesthood was celebrated by Father Philip Gray in September 2019. The vicar of St Mary’s, Mendlesham, for 45 years, he also serves as honorary chaplain to three church heritage charities.

After a special celebration lunch, he was invited to cut a fruit cake, which was decorated with icing images of three Norfolk churches, Beeston St Lawrence, complete with its round tower, St Peter, Great Walsingham and St Mary’s, Anmer.

The cake also featured icing showing a steam locomotive and four carriages of the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway, which runs from Brockford through part of the neighbouring parish of Wetheringsett.

Earlier almost 150 people had filled the Mid-Suffolk church for a sung mass on the feast of St Matthew. Family, friends and parishioners also celebrated another anniversary when on September 22, 1968 he was ordained deacon at St Mary the Virgin, Prittlewell, Essex.

Father Philip’s long career has included six years as curate of St Clement, Leigh-on-Sea until 1968 until moved to Mendlesham in 1974.

His five children, Peter, Catherine, Andrew, Rachel and Tom all took part in the service and Bishop of Richborough, the Rt Rev Norman Banks gave the sermon.

Detail from the cake showing three Norfolk churches - Beeston St Lawrence, Great Walsingham and Anmer. Photographs: Lyn Stilgoe.
Detail from the cake showing three Norfolk churches – Beeston St Lawrence, Great Walsingham and Anmer.
Photographs: Lyn Stilgoe.

In a brief address to the congregation, Father Philip also thanked his wife, Anne, for her great support in his ministry and his work in the parish.

He had specifically requested that no personal donations be made but gifts could be made to the Friends of St Mary’s Church. Adding that in cricketing terms, he was 50 not out, he hoped to continue his innings for as long as possible.

Then the entire company was invited to a hog roast lunch, which had been prepared by members of the parish.

It later emerged that the parish had clubbed together to give “a much loved friend and priest” an engraved glass decanter and also a special steam railway holiday break. And, it was revealed too that as a teenager while staying with his grandmother, he had visited the village in the 1950s in the days before electricity when the streets were cobbled and oil lamps light homes. He had declared that one day he would like to return to serve the parish – and a quarter of a century later, he came to Mendlesham as its priest.

Roof alarm success but plea for more funds

Thefts of lead from Norfolk’s churches have halved in the past two years – thanks to the roof alarm scheme.
A £250,000 fund has enabled 70 of the most vulnerable churches to be protected by the Roof Alarm Scheme. Initially, it was planned to install 50 alarms when the scheme was launched two years ago by the Diocese of Norwich.
According to the Eastern Daily Press (Saturday, 7 September), which has backed the roof alarm initiative, Lorne Green, Norfolk’s police and crime commissioner, pledged £100,000 at a meeting in December 2017 to kick-start the alarm scheme. And the diocese of Norwich, the Norfolk Churches Trust, the Round Tower Churches Society and Allchurches Trust immediately gave their financial support.
The former Bishop of Norwich, the Rt Rev Graham James, supported the roof alarm scheme as a total of about £250,000 was raised.
But funds are needed to continue the work and to protect other churches in the diocese as Norfolk police revealed that the number of incidents of lead theft has halved in the past two years. In the two years before the roof alarm scheme was started, there had been 48 incidents but only 26 in the last two years, according to Norfolk police.
The Ven Steven Betts, Archdeacon of Norfolk, said: “The partnership with the Police and Crime Commissioner and other donors means the vast majority of our vulnerable churches are now protected by alarms.”
Mr Green said: “It is reassuring to hear that since the scheme was launched the police have recorded a near 50pc drop in reports of lead theft, however this does not mean we should rest on our laurels.”
An urgent plea for funds has been made to protect more churches across the county by donating money to the Raise the Alarm scheme.
Donations can be made online to the Norfolk Community Foundation, (Raise the Alarm) or by post to Norfolk Community Foundation, St James Mill, Whitefriars, Norwich NR3 1TN.

Three churches share £15,000 grants

The round tower at Tuttington church, taken by the society’s founder Bill Goode in the 1970s.

Three round tower churches have been awarded a total of almost £15,000 by the Norfolk Churches Trust.

A grant of £10,000 was made at the conservation charity’s latest quarterly meeting towards urgent repairs to the tower of SS Peter and Paul, Tuttington, near Aylsham. The total cost, which includes repairs to the chancel and nave roofs, runs to about £120,000. It will cover repairs including to a buttress, improving drainage and rainwater goods including downpipes and gutters.
The Round Tower Churches Society also made a recent award of £2,000 towards the repairs.

A Breckland church, of St Margaret, Breckles, near Attleborough, has been awarded £4,000 towards the £41,000 repair costs. It needs to improve drainage and replace guttering and downpipes as well as carry out repairs to roofs and stonework

The Norfolk Churches Trust also gave £500 to St Edmund’s, Taverham, towards the total £27,000 cost of repairing the chancel and nave windows and the south aisle roof.

The trust, which also gave a further £18,000 to six other churches, takes into account the funds available before making specific repair grants.

Norfolk church misses out on top award for conservation

A major project to restore West Lexham’s round tower was one of four finalists in the 2019 Sir John Betjeman Award – of one of the country’s top conservation awards.

The award judges for the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings announced the result at the charity’s annual meeting in Kent on Saturday, July 13. The winner was a church at Grasmere, Cumbria, in the Lake District.

The judges had visited St Nicholas, West Lexham, near Swaffham, to see the £250,000 restoration project, which was completed in January 2019.

The Sir John Betjeman Award, which was first made in 1990, aims to recognise excellence in conservation of heritage buildings and is open to all places of worship and denominations. It encourages the highest standards of repair and conservation and attracted a total of 23 entries this year.

Niels Olesen, treasurer of West Lexham parochial church council, said that it was a tremendous achievement to be a finalist. “We’ve certainly seen a marked increase in the number of visitors to the church since it was short-listed for the award.”

He was grateful for help from the Norfolk Churches Trust, which awarded £7,000 in 2017, and £1,000 from the Round Tower Churches Society in 2018, towards the total cost.

The restoration was overseen by Dominico D’Alessandro, of Norwich-based architects, Nicholas Warns.

Church service celebrates restoration project

Repairs to St Margaret’s Church, Herringfleet, have been completed and a service of re-dedication taken by Bishop Alan of Thetford has been held in the church.

The structures of the nave and porch of St Margaret’s Church, near Lowestoft, have both been quite extensively repaired and both roofs re-thatched.

The society made a grant of £4,000 towards the total cost of the repairs. A new drainage system has been installed and the chancel re-rendered. When the rendering on the nave was removed, it was decided not to replace it but have the flint wall re-pointed.

Since this did not come under the scope of the Heritage Lottery Fund grant, it was funded with the help of the RTCS grant.

Inside the church has been rewired, with smart new ceiling spotlights and some “old style” wall lamps, and blissful under pew heating fitted. One of the panels of stained glass on the east window has been repaired and re-installed within the grant funding, and another panel will be refurbished with their own funds.

The inside plaster has been re-done and the walls gleaming white making the church so much brighter and enhancing the colours of the windows.

Grants’ officer Nick Wiggin and the membership secretary Teresa Wiggin attended the service, which was held on Wednesday, June 12, and the celebrations afterwards.
Herringfleet, St Margaret

Lead thieves strike Breckland church twice in 24 hours

Thieves have taken lead from the aisle roof of an 11th century church in west Norfolk.

St Mary’s Church, Beechamwell, near Swaffham, was the target of thieves twice in 24 hours, it appears. The theft of large areas of lead was discovered on Wednesday, May 29 – and it is likely that they may have removed lead the previous night as well.

St Mary’s Church, Beechamwell.

St Mary’s Church, Beechamwell, has been described as Anglo-Saxon partly because of the evidence of the early belfry openings near the top of the circular part.

However, the leading specialist architect, the late Stephen Hart, suggests that despite the formidable weight of this virtually unanimous opinion, there are convincing grounds for dating the church and tower as post-Conquest.

It may be of the same period as the round Saxo-Norman church towers at Herringfleet and Haddiscoe. The term “Saxo-Norman” is used here as meaning architecture of Anglo-Saxon workmanship or style executed after the Conquest.

Anyone with any information, which may help detectives find the thieves, is asked to contact Norfolk police.

Two more grants to fund restoration work

Two grants worth a total of £6,500 have been made by the Round Tower Churches Society for immediate restoration projects.

It brings the total awarded to churches to £22,500 for current and future restoration work  – and follows the £14,500 distributed last year.

Within a fortnight of receipt of the latest two applications, the committee agreed on the latest grants. Stuart Bowell, chairman, said that as the society has received several very generous legacies in recent months, it was determined to use its funds to help as many churches as

A major restoration project costing almost £250,000 has started at All Saints, Stuston, on the Suffolk and Norfolk border.

Restoration work has started at All Saints, Stuston.

The society awarded £5,000 – with half from the Stan Barnes legacy – for repairs to the tower and also improving access to the church, which is near Diss. The work, which started on April 14, will also include re-tiling the chancel and north transept roof, improvements to drainage and repairs to the internal render.

A grant of £188,147 from the Heritage Lottery Fund has covered the lion’s share of the £238,053 cost but it still leaves a shortfall of more than £47,000.

A £1,500 grant was also made to All Saints, Keswick, near Norwich, which will enable accumulations of bird dung to be removed from the tower and appropriate mesh guards to be replaced. Apparently, the visiting pigeons and doves have started to cause some damage to the tower’s fabric.

The society’s last grant to the church was £200 in 2007.

The society’s members will be visiting the church on Saturday, September 7 on the season;’s final guided tour, starting at Intwood (2.30pm), then Keswick and finally Swainsthorpe.